So I have like….what? Three days left? Counting today? To get stuff done? Not even that actually as I can’t really do anything on Saturday because that’s when everyone is getting together for our Haldi/Mehndi ceremony dinner thingee.
Baprey. (Meaning “Oh God…help me”)
I’m so tired I can barely stand, but I have a few hours this morning to rest so here I am, not resting. My mind is going a million miles a minute. So I figured that I would sit down and write to all of you about what’s been going on.
Sidenote: I sat here for a full five minutes with this blank stare on my face trying to remember what all I’ve done since last time I wrote. There’s so much I think I overloaded my brain for a few minutes. Reboot was required. System crash. Full restore in progress. Restart in 5…4…3…2…
1) Last Thursday I went with my friend S to pick up my Wedding Sari and Top from the tailor. The work she did was absolutely stunning and I couldn’t have asked for better work to be done. It was at Poshaak in Artesia. If you’ve ever in town, stop by there. They are kind and carry excellent quality clothes. Little expensive, but if you have the money, definitely the better purchase.
2) Friday I ran a bunch of errands, including paying for the Decorator. She usually only does weddings that are $25,000 and above but she liked Bear and I so much that she is decorating on a small scale for us for around $1000. Check out their site here. They are called Ethnic Essence and their decorating skills for Indian Weddings are AMAZING.
3) Saturday and Sunday Bear and I ran around trying to take care of a million things at once. We bought his shoes (see below) and picked up a few things that the Pundit asked us to gather for the wedding, like the Sindoor (this is red powder like substance that Bear puts in the part of my hair to signify that I am a married woman). I still have more that I need to get, like the Paan leaves, puffed flattened rice, small red dupatta (to tie me to his dupatta, it is done right before we take our walk 7 times around the fire…it signifies that we are together in all things), a coconut and a few other things (there is a nut that we have to get too but darned if I remember it’s name without going and looking at the paperwork and I’m too tired to get up). Also, my friend S took me to buy things for my hair…decorative pins and the like. Bear and I also were up till 2:30 in the morning cleaning his apartment and throwing away things left behind by other contractors who once stayed here.
4) Monday I don’t remember what I did. Oh wait, yes I do. I ran my butt off finishing the cleaning of this apartment. Going grocery shopping.
5) Tuesday morning I went to the airport to pick up my Brother and his Fiancé. I took them to a rental car place which was in the most inconvenient area imaginable. Then we drove back to Bear’s apartment so they could take a nap before driving up to San Fran to visit some friends. I continued to clean the apartment, and then woke them up. Then I got cleaned up and ran to the airport again to pick up my Father, Stepmom, and Aunty. Brought them back to Bear’s apartment and Bear and I cooked dinner for them (Opo and Aloo subji) and then I drove them to my sister-in-laws house where they spent the night (got back to Bear’s house around 10:30 and passed out).
6) Got up at the ungodly hour of 6:30 in the morning to drive my Dad and Stepmom to the rental car agency to pick up their car. Got a call from my brother in San Fran that his rental car had broken down. Started pulling out my hair and noticed that it was turning silver (at least it’s better than white or grey). I stopped and picked up Darkest Brown hair color to fix that. Afterwards, stopped at the Bakery to order the 60 plus cupcakes in our wedding colors. Half of them are chocolate with cream colored cream frosting and little red roses on top. Other half is vanilla with red icing and little cream colored cream frosting roses on the top. The Bride and Groom cake is still the Mango flavored angel food cake with fresh Mango’s and Strawberries inside.
7) The rest of Tuesday I rested man.
8) Wednesday was my Dad’s birthday, so we all went out to lunch at Lucille’s. We had them sing and bring Dad a birthday treat. Also, here (yesterday – Wednesday) it was Raksha Bandhan. This is a holiday in India where a girl gives a boy (usually brother and sister, but also cousin’s and good friends) a Rakhi. A Rakhi is a bracelet made from colored string and beads and other things that the girl then ties to the boys right wrist. A small puja is performed and the girl and boy feed each other sweets. Then the boy gifts something to the girl. He also must protect her for the rest of her life. My friend S’s husband is my Babba (father in Hindi because he bosses me so much so I nicknamed him this to antagonize him) but mainly he is like my brother. I care for them all very much. So I gifted the Rakhi to Babba again this year, as I did last year. S helped me with the Puja so this time it was done properly. Babba seemed to enjoy it very much. Then I came back and colored my hair. It is now almost black with red highlights. Very pretty but much darker than I thought. Bear LOVES it.
9) This morning, I slept in.
10) This afternoon I go with S to get the food we need for Saturday night’s Haldi/Mehndi party. Haldi is this. Mehndi is this. S will be cooking up a storm for that night and we will have about 20 people there. There will be Mehndi music and dancing and family and food and so much fun! And I have to sit for MOST of it!!! Siiiiiiiiigh. Oh well, I’ll just make Bear bring me food and drink! LOL
11) Friday Bear has off from work and we are going to Artesia AGAIN to get the final list of items from the Pundit (see above #3) and to give information for the Bride and Groom cake to be picked up on Saturday late afternoon. We also are picking up fake flower decorations for the Mustang that my dad is getting to take Bear and his brother to the wedding in. Fake because it’s cheaper and they will be on the freeway and real flowers won’t stand up to my Dad’s method of driving. LOL I’m also going to get my pedicure and manicure done. We then will go to my apartment to get the rest of the things that I have kept there. My Manglasutra, his Sherwani, the Wedding jewelry (necklace, tikha, ankle trinkets, my shoes and a few other things). Then we will go to Costco for the plates and napkins and glasses as we are cutting costs by providing disposable utensils instead of having the caterer cart his things there. That would be more expensive and he is trying to help us cut costs. We also have to stop and buy my makeup for that day as I need something that won’t wear off from the heat of the fire of my own crying (and I know I’m gonna…I’m getting all emotional now thinking about it).
12) Saturday I’m doing NOTHING and this is where my friends and family take over. They will do all the food and ceremony preparation. I’m just gonna sit there and do nothing…for ONCE! Hehe Except eat. I’ll eat. J
13) Sunday I’m getting Married!!!!!
Well, I hope you’ve all enjoyed reading my to-do list because that’s what this really is. I knew I was going to forget something, so I figured why not turn it into a post so you can see what I’m up to and I can remind myself what still is left to do.
I’m including a video from one of my favorite East meets West movies. I just like the fact that Sayeed from Lost is in that movie and I get to see him dancing in a Sherwani. J Plus it’s a fun song and we will probably play it Saturday night.
Till then, I probably will be going nuts. So take care and I’ll write sometime next week! Much love to all! Have a fabulous Weekend!